Paul Elliott is taking legal advice about his proposed takeover of Charlton Athletic.
Elliott’s bid for the club was rejected by the England Football League on Friday.
The Manchester-based businessman has lodged an appeal against the decision, but BBC Sport has been told the EFL was made aware the deal for Elliott to take over East Street Investments, which owns Charlton, has been scrapped, and current majority shareholder Tahnoon Nimer is looking for an alternative buyer.
However, Elliott feels he has a legally binding agreement with Nimer to take control of the club that cannot be unilaterally changed.
BBC Sport has been told Elliott still wants to buy ESI and is now taking legal advice on the matter.
It is yet another development in a complicated saga that many fans fear will eventually end with the League One club entering administration.
ESI bought Charlton from Roland Duchatalet in January. Duchatalet remains the owner of the club’s ground and training ground, although ESI have an agreement to buy them for a combined £50m.
However, Nimer refused to put any funds into the club following a major disagreement with his partner in ESI, Matt Southall.
Elliott has been responsible for paying salaries, with estimates of the overall cost of this to be about £1m. However, at a recent court case, Chris Farnell said the purchase of the club was still to be completed.
Earlier on Wednesday, Nimer emailed Farnell to tell him his status as Charlton’s solicitor was being terminated.
In response, Farnell released a statement saying that it had become clear one of the consequences of the boardroom dispute at the club was “its likely expulsion from the Football League”.
Farnell said he had been trying to “facilitate the orderly running of the club” in “challenging circumstances” and much of the speculation around him had been “inaccurate and misinformed”.
He said he believed the “significant work undertaken greatly improves the prospects of Charlton Athletic FC remaining in the EFL”.
The Solicitors’ Regulation Authority is investigating a complaint made about Farnell over his dealings at Charlton.
On Friday, the club announced it had lodged an appeal to the English Football League on behalf of two people.
Charlton are also considering their legal position in the 12-point deduction given to Sheffield Wednesday for breaking spending rules, which does not take effect until next season. Had it been activated this term, Wednesday would have been relegated from the Championship instead of Charlton.